Pages

Travel question of the day: Simon Calder on safety in Cyprus

Tuesday, July 12, 2016

A Personally I wouldn’t travel to Cyprus in August. But that is not because of any sense of danger – just the heat on the island in the warmest month of the year, when the average temperature is above 30C. April and October are my preferred months; May and September are also lovely.

I infer, though, your question has nothing to do with excessive sunshine, but rather the proximity to the appalling war that has cost so many lives in Syria; the Syrian coast is only 50 miles from Cyprus. I see no risk that the unfolding tragedy in Syria will spill over to the island. So apart from the heat, I would happily go to Cyprus – and take my family there. But I wouldn’t rent a car, because the roads are about twice as dangerous than the UK. That is where the main risk resides, along with the water: “Be aware of strong seas and undertows,” says the Foreign Office.
 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY L-email Wigs